Neural Steam Cells And Neurodegenesis
Marco Canossa obtained his degree (1986) and PhD (1991) in Pharmacology at the University of Bologna.
He carried out postdoctoral research in neurobiology at Stanford University before joining the Department of Pharmacology at University of Bologna as Assistant Professor in 1995.
From 1996 to 2000 he was Visiting Scientist at the Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology in Munich in the laboratory of Hans Thoenen and from 2006-2007 Visiting Scientist at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich (LMU) in the laboratory of Magdalena Götz.
From 2007 to 2012 he was Senior Scientist at the Italian Institute of Technology in Genova.
1.M.Canossa, G. Rovelli and E.M.Shooter. Transphosphorylation of the neurotrophinTrk receptors. J. Biol. Chem., (1996) 271, 10, 5812-5818.
2. M.Canossa, J.Twiss, N.Verity and E.M.Shooter. p75NGFR and TrkA receptors cooperate to rapidly activate a p75NGFR associated proteinkinase. EMBO (1996) 15, 13, 3369-337624.
3. M.Canossa, O.GriesbeckB.Berninger, G.Campana, R.Kolbeck and H. Thoenen Neurotrophin release by Neurotrophins: Implication for activity-dependent neuronal plasticity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA (1997) 94 13279-13286.
3. M.Canossa,A.Gartner, ,G.Campana, Y.Inagaki and H. Thoenen Regulated secretion of neurotrophins by metabotropic glutamate group I (mGluRI) and Trk-receptor activation is mediated via phospholipase C signaling pathways. EMBO J. (2001) 20, 1640-1650.
4. M. Canossa, E. Giordano, S .Cappello, C. Guarnieri and S. Ferri Nitric Oxide down-regulate brain derived neurotrophic factor secretion in cultured hippocampal neurons. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (2002) 99, 3282-3287
5. G. Aicardi, E. Argilli, S. Cappello, S. Santi, M. Riccio, H Thoenen and M. Canossa Induction of LTP and LTD is reflected by corresponding changes in secretion of endogenous BDNF. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (2004) 101:15788-15792
6. S. Santi, S. Cappello, M. Riccio, M. Bergami, G. Aicardi, U. Schenk, M. Matteoli and M. Canossa, Hippocampal neurons recycle BDNF for activity-dependent secretion and LTP maintenance. EMBO J. (2006) 25:4372-4380.
7. M. Bergami, S. Santi, E. Formaggio, C. Cagnoli, C. Verderio, R. Blum, B. Berninger, M. Matteoli, M. Canossa Uptake and recycling of pro-BDNF for transmitter-induced secretion by cortical astrocytes. J Cell Biol. (2008) 20;183(2):213-221.
8. M.Bergami, R. Rimondini, S. Santi, R. Blum, M. Götz, M. Canossa, Deletion of TrkB in adult progenitors alters newborn neuron integration into hippocampal circuits and increases anxiety-like behavior. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (2008) 7;105(40):15570-15775.
9. M. Bergami B. Berninger and M. Canossa. Conditional deletion of TrkB altersadult hippocampalneurogenesis and anxiety-related behavior. Communicative and Integrative Biology 2008, 2:1, 14-16.