Antonino Cattaneo has worked as a PhD student at the Scuola Normale Superiore (Pisa) with Lamberto Maffei and as a postdoc and staff scientist with Rita Levi-Montalcini (Nobel Prize Laureate for discovery of NGF) at the CNR Institute of Neurobiology in Rome, and with Cesar Milstein (Nobel Prize laureate for discovery of monoclonal antibodies) at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (Cambridge, UK).
From 1991 to 2008, he was Full Professor of Biophysics at the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA) in Trieste (Italy), where he was Head of the Biophysics Department from 1991 to 1995 and the Deputy Director of SISSA from 1996 to 2001. From 2008 to present he is Professor of Neurobiology at the Scuola Normale Superiore (Pisa), where he is the Director of the Biology Lab BioSnS.
Antonino Cattaneo is author of numerous publications in peer-reviewed international journals and is recipient of several awards including Domenico Marotta Prize, Italian Academy of Sciences XL, the W. Jansenius Medal, Slovak Academy of Sciences and the “G. Tartufari” International Prize for Biology, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei.
He is a member of EMBO (European Mo¬lecular Biology Organization) and member of the Italian Academy of Sciences XL.
He is former member of the Council of Scientists of Human Frontier Science Program Organization (HFSPO), for which he has also served for four years as the Chairman of the Grants Review Committee. He has been Visiting Fellow of Trinity College in Cambridge (UK). He is a Team Leader of the European Neuroscience Institute Young Investigator Network.
1. Piccioli P, Di Luzio A, Amann R, Schuligoi R, Surani MA, Donnerer J, Cattaneo A (1995) Neuroantibodies: ectopic expression of a recombinant anti-substance P antibody in the central nervous system of transgenic mice. Neuron 15:373-384.
2. Tongiorgi E, Righi M, Cattaneo A (1997) Activity-dependent dendritic targeting of BDNF and TrkB mRNAs in hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci 17:9492-9505.
3. Capsoni S, Ugolini G, Comparini A, Ruberti F, Berardi N, Cattaneo A (2000) Alzheimer-like neurodegeneration in aged antinerve growth factor transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:6826-6831.
4. De Rosa R, Garcia AA, Braschi C, Capsoni S, Maffei L, Berardi N, Cattaneo A (2005) Intranasal administration of nerve growth factor (NGF) rescues recognition memory deficits in AD11 anti-NGF transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:3811-3816.
5. Capsoni, S., Tiveron, C., Amato, G., Vignone, D., Cattaneo, A. (2010) Dissecting the involvement of Tropomyosin kinase A and p75 neurotrophin receptor signaling in NGF deficit-induced neurodegeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA107: 12299-12304.
6. Capsoni S, Covaceuszach S, Marinelli S, Ceci M, Bernardo A, Minghetti L, Ugolini G, Pavone F, Cattaneo A (2011) Taking pain out of NGF: a "painless" NGF mutant, linked to hereditary sensory autonomic neuropathy type V, with full neurotrophic activity. PLoS One 6(2):e17321